In vitro fertilization (IVF) is one of the most effective fertility treatments available for assisting people with infertility in having a baby. The success rate of IVF is determined by the woman's age, the cause of infertility, the quality of the treatment, and many more factors. Making the decision to opt for IVF is both exciting and nerve-wracking. On the one side, the process moves you closer to conceiving. On the other hand, not knowing what to expect and being unsure whether or not it will work is stressful. Here's everything you should know to be prepared.
Because IVF is unique to each patient’s situation, there is no “one-size-fits-all.” IVF has helped many couples with fertility issues successfully conceive, and may be right for you if you have or experience:
- Damaged, blocked, or removed fallopian tubes
- Ovulation disorders, uterine fibroids, or premature ovarian failure
- Decreased sperm count or decreased sperm motility
- Unexplained infertility
IVF – The Process
- Suppress the menstrual cycle with medication.
- Increase egg supply – medication is used to stimulate the ovaries to produce more eggs.
- Monitoring your progress – an ultrasound scan is performed to check the development of the eggs and medication is used to help them mature.
- Collection of the eggs – a needle is inserted into the ovaries to extract the eggs.
- Fertilization of eggs – the eggs are mixed with the sperm for a few days to allow them to be fertilized.
- Transferring the embryo(s) – One or two fertilized eggs (embryos) are implanted in the womb.
- After the embryo(s) have been implanted in the womb, you must wait for two weeks before taking a pregnancy test to see if the treatment was successful.
- Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables. They are high in vitamins and minerals, as well as fibre, which aids digestion and prevents constipation.
- Cook the eggs thoroughly until the whites and yolks are solid. This reduces the possibility of salmonella food poisoning. Avoid foods containing raw or undercooked eggs.
- Thoroughly cook all meat and poultry until there is no trace of pink or blood.
- Eat cooked seafood/fish rather than raw, as raw seafood/fish can contain harmful bacteria and viruses that can cause food poisoning.
- Limit your intake of caffeinated beverages and drink plenty of water.
- Restrict the intake of alcohol.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous exercises such as running.
- Opt for mild activities such as walking.
- Abstain from sexual intercourse until a pregnancy test and advice from your doctor.
- Reduce stress, get plenty of rest and commit to some relaxation techniques such as meditation, mindfulness or simply just breathing exercises
- Avoid crowded areas and keep your distance from people who may be ill.
- If you become ill, seek medical attention and inform the doctor that you recently underwent embryo transfer.
- Do not take medication/drugs unless prescribed by the physician.
Achieve successful pregnancy through IVF at PFRC
IVF is a journey. It requires commitment from both partners and they should stick to the schedule of the treatment. Time is a crucial success factor for the IVF treatment. Choose PFRC – the best IVF center in Chennai, assuring high chances of IVF success. If you have any questions about the IVF process or would like to start your IVF journey with PFRC, reach out to us and book a fertility consultation with the best fertility specialist in Chennai.